Thoughts... by the way

An aside. The one thing that makes sense of the play.

Saturday, January 22

Broke a man down.

Today, at work, I encountered a salesman. In the end he won (for now) but I broke him down first.
When selling there are times, usually after important questions are asked, when the asker mustn't say a word until an answer, in whatever form is received. The adage goes that the first one to speak, loses, metaphorically speaking. So, tonight I came upon a salesman. (For context I sell cars part time while in school). After spending probably three hours with the man, his wife, and daughter, I finally, at long last, got him into my office and got a price on my computer screen and asked him the penultimate question.
"So what do you want to do?"
Silence.
He knew what was at stake. A salesman by trade, he was accustomed to this akward silence, terrible silence. And he was putting his wife and daughter through this.
Complete absence of sound.
After about three minutes I almost cracked but then realized how ridiculous this whole stand-off was and that fueled me, I almost smiled.
"I'm going to go back out and look at the car."
I had broken him down. Grown man. Accomplished ubersalesman. He was wearing a sales award ring. And he spoke first.

Then they walked.
Left.
Without buying a car.
I swear they're coming back though.
Rich said so.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Adrian Blackney said...

It worked.
He came back yesterday.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Adrian Blackney said...

like shooting fish in a barrel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home