Thoughts... by the way

An aside. The one thing that makes sense of the play.

Sunday, January 16

Eject button.

I'll warn you up front, you may have had to be there in order to find this funny. I say this because I've gotten only sympathetic laughs thus far in the retelling.
At any rate.
A few days ago I was visiting John, a friend from college, in Nashville. At the end of the night we were headed to another friend, Brian's, house. We were in John's truck and it is awesome. Power windows and locks, keyless entry, extended cab, automatic transmission, you name it. You name it, his truck doesn't have it. Baseline and awesome. However, what it lacks in accoutrements it makes up for in novelty. It has a dash-mounted Eject button (ripped off of an old computer) and airbags that you can turn on and off with a key.
One more thing, when John and I hang out everything becomes ridiculously funny.
For whatever reason, I was threatening to push the Eject button. (Understand, absolutely nothing would have happened if I did. It is a fake button. A joke.) While traveling 40 mph down a major thoroughfare in Nashville's West End, John turned the car off (one of the few advantages of a manual transmission, John likes this trick and does it often), used the key to disarm my airbag, then started the engine again and continued on. I found this very amusing. I was screaming and my stomach hurt from the laughter. "Turn it back on!", I shouted. As we approached a traffic light, a red traffic light, John turned the engine off again, turned my airbag back on and DROPPED THE KEYS. The steering wheel locked, power brakes lost their power, and we rolled up onto the curb, narrowly missing a fire hydrant (really close), continued rolling over the curb and into the intersection and finally to a stop just short of a telephone pole. John picked up the keys, restarted the engine and pulled into a parking lot to regroup.
I was crying.
Really.
Really, really funny.

3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said...

You were in Nashville this weekend? Me too!

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you guys drinking or something? That is how people get killed! That John guy, along with you, are two stupid bastards if you ask me.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Adrian Blackney said...

It's a good thing no one asked you. We were drinking Diet Coke if that counts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home